The Grand National is taking place this weekend and with that in mind, we thought you would like to know some interesting statistics about this global event!
– There are forty horses racing over four miles, two furlongs and 74 yards (6.907km), jumping 30 fences
– This event famously has a low completion percentage, highlighted by the fact that the most number of finishers in Grand National modern history is just 23 (of 40 that are always declared to run) in 1984.
– The favourite runner in the Grand National often does not win (only 9 times) – in recent years we have seen 100/1 shot Mon Mome (2009) and 66/1 poke Auroras Encore (2013) take the finish line in front, while the last three victorious horses have been priced up at 33/1 and 25/1 (twice).
– The Grand National resonates around the world; 600million around the globe will watch this year’s renewal
– Red Rum is the only horse to have won three Grand Nationals – the first coming in 1973 (the year Stan James were formed) and then again in 1974 & 1977
– Each of the last 10 Grand National winners had run at least ten times over fences before the start on the big day at Aintree
On the day, both Unibet and Stan James will have dozens of special markets on the race. You can currently find racing banners showcasing offers in our media gallery!